Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the reason behind the sudden weaning

i was inspired by jah to post about this experience of ours as i take delight in the innocence of a little child. there is something in their actions or words, even how naughty or silly it is, that makes them more adorable. i just hope they will always hold that innocence until they reach the age of reason.

a backgrounder of my story:

i thought was pregnant again. it was 6th of november when i had myself checked using a pregnancy test kit--and two lines appeared. it's supposed to be the fourth week of my pregnancy. we were joyful as we thought we're ready now to welcome another member in the family. next day came and as used to be a part of our early morning ritual, i nursed iñigo. fyi, he sucked like an infant during mornings. hours passed but when i woke up i saw stains of blood in my undies and shorts. i panicked and called jude immediately as he was already in his office. i couldn't help but blame breastfeeding as the cause of my "bleeding". we went to asian hospital that same morning but was discharged immediately after the resident ob prescribed some medicines and advised me to take a bed rest.

so we thought i was indeed pregnant. at this time i decided to stop breastfeeding iñigo the cold-turkey approach so as not to aggravate my condition. after nine days, 15th of november, we went back to asian for my scheduled ultrasound only to find out that... i am not pregnant! two more pregnancy tests validated the result. the bleeding must probably my monthly period and it just came late. HAY! so much for a false alarm...

i'd tell iñigo during the time i was weaning him why mommy had to stop giving her milk to him. the stupid me told him that a baby is going to come soon in our family and mommy has to reserve the milk for her (yes, we already claimed it's a girl. hehe). iñigo obliged at first but looking at him, he was definitely having a hard time to forget about my milk.

but one time he rushed to my side and cried, "mommy, no baby girl! ...don't like baby girl".

it was enough to make me cry. obviously, he was threatened with the coming of a new baby in the house. while my son has yet to understand the whole scenario i failed to assure him that nothing would change and that the new baby would not be favored over him.

i changed my dialogue after that incident and just blamed the medicines i was taking as my reason in weaning him. he bought the idea so i thought he already forgot about what i told him earlier. but to my surprise, he rushed to my side again one afternoon and was about to sit down on my lap as he used to whenever i nurse him but apparently he realized something as he got up and then said "milk... (for) baby girl, mommy". he was pointing to my breasts, then he repeated again those words but this time he proudly added that "iñigo... big brother".

i was so proud of him.

but i just hope now it's true. =P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment